The High Tatras (Vysoke Tatry) are the greatest sight in the Slovakia. They are the smallest apline mountains of the world with the highest point of all Carpathian Mountains. Gerlachovsky stit (Gerlach peak) has 2654 metres over sea. You can visit Tatry for all year. Summer holidays are paradise for walking tourists, in winter you can go skiing in ski areas Tatranska Lomnica, Lomnicke sedlo, Hrebienok, Strbske Pleso. By the natives is the best season autumn when the Tatra mountains revive withnew colors and there are not so many visitors.
We prepare for you small list of sights in the High Tatras and his close area. You can find Useful informations at traveller portal LOMNICA.COM (compelte guide for vacation in recreation area of the High Tatras (Tatranska Lomnica and Velka Lomnica)
- Tatra National Park (Tatransky narodný park - TANAP) - Tatra mountains including High Tatras, Western Tatras and White Tatras. In Poland there is Tatrzanski park Narodowy. Aerial cableway on Lomnicky stit (Lomnica peak) had in time of start the biggest superelevation in the world.
- National Park of the Low Tatras (Narodny park Nizke Tatry - NAPANT) - Kralova hola (25 km)
- Pieniny National Park (Pieninsky narodny park - PIENAP) - unique rafting on the river Dunajec with wooden rafts. Don´t forget on national monument Red Monastery (Cerveny Klastor). In polish national park Pieniny you can climb up on beatiful Trzy Koruny (Three Crowns, 45km)
- National park Slovak Paradise (Narodný park Slovensky raj - deep canyons, large forests, gap of the river Hornad, Tomasovsky view (30km)
Tourism (walking and hiking)
- Easy walks to surrounding countryside like Cold River waterfalls (Studenovodske vodopady), cableway on Lomnica peak (Lomnicky stit) or Rock Tarn (Skalnate pleso) and then for 1 hour by foot on the hil Velka Svistovka, ascents to mountain huts, visting the caves (Belianska jaskyna, Vazecka jaskyna, Dobsinska ladova jaskyna)
- Trekking Tatra peaks over 2000 metres Jahnaci stit, Koprovsky stit, Krivan, Rysy, Slavkovsky stit, Velka Svistovka, Vychodna Vysoka and alpine saddles (Polsky hreben, Priecne sedlo, Prielom, Sedielko)
- Ascents on the summits with mountain guides or climbing instructors including Gerlachovsky stit (2654 metres) or Lomnicky stit (2556 metres).
Skiing (ski centres)
- Tatranska Lomnica - the highest ski center in Slovakia over 2000m Lomnicke sedlo, Skalnate Pleso, Cucoriedky, Start a Jamy (3km).
- Stary Smokovec - Hrebienok - (6km).
- Strbske Pleso - Solisko - well known ski area (25km).
- Skiing in surroundings - Tatranska Lesna, Zdiar, Bachledova dolina, Deny, Jezerske, Liptovska Teplicka, Lopusna dolina, Vysne Ruzbachy, Spisské Bystre (until 50km).
- Classical skiing - prepred running routes for lovers of classics and skating from Tatranska Kotliny until Strbské Pleso. Some of the routes is begining near the guesthouse Felicia. Just put on the shoes to the bindings and go on the road again.
Worl heritage UNESCO
- Spissky hrad (Spis Castle) (the biggest ruin in the central Europe) including sacred monuments Spisska kapitula and gothic church in Zehra.
- Dobsinska ladova jaskyna (Dobsina ice cave) in the national park Slovak Paradise
- Settlement Vlkolinec (today it is part of town Ruzomberok) with 45 well-preserved houses
- Royal towns Bardejov a Banska Stiavnica
- Krakow and his historical centre, salt mines in Wieliczka
- Next important monuments are medieval towns Levoca (the highest wooden altar int he world by Master Pavol from Levoca is big 18,6m), Kezmarok (town with the biggest school library in Europe near the majestic Thököly castle), Podolinec and Spisska Sobota, castles and manors (Stara Lubovna, Strazky, Betlanovce, Markusovce).
- Until 200 metres - vital world (indoor pool, sauna, massages, jacuzzi), 2 indoor pools, restaurants, tennis, squash, billiard, minigolf, children´s playground
- Yearly open aquapark AquaCity Poprad (15km), summer thermal swimming pool Vrbov (15km), 2 golf courts together with 36 holes (4km), riding on horses, sledging, hypermarket Tesco (nonstop)